What is a Cucalorus?
cuc•a•lor•us n., [orig. Gk. kukaloris, the dance of the shadows.]1. a film set apparatus placed in front of a light source to create a dappled lighting effect on a subject or background. also cookie, UK. gobo. 2. a film festival in Wilmington, North Carolina.
- CUCALORUS FILM FESTIVAL ANNOUNCES 2021 FILM SELECTIONS
- CUCALORUS FILM FOUNDATION AND THE NC FILM OFFICE PRESENT ELEVEN “FILMED IN NC” FILMMAKER GRANTS
- CUCALORUS AND WORKING FILMS ANNOUNCE 2021 WORKS-IN-PROGRESS LAB
- 27TH ANNUAL CUCALORUS FILM FESTIVAL WILL BE LIVE AGAIN IN DOWNTOWN WILMINGTON FEATURING NEW VENUES AND FESTIVAL FAVORITES LIKE DANCE-A-LORUS
Press at Cucalorus 27
Interested in attending this year’s event as press? Please fill out the form below.
In The News
- Connect Focus: Social Justice – GWBJ
- A Hybrid, Mostly Online Cucalorus Festival Seeks To Survive Creatively – GWBJ
- Films Announced for 2020 Cucalorus Film Festival – WECT News
- Cucalorus Goes to the Drive-in – StarNews
- 5 ways to get the best drive in experience – StarNews
- We are living in a computer simulation- a real Matrix- without knowing it?
- Getting real with virtual reality – a treat from Cucalorus Connect VR Salon
- The art of gifting: Pinksocks movement promotes human connection vs. connectivity
- Digital humans with star’s voice such as Cate Blanchett could answer your healthcare questions
- It’s a b-i-g party! Cucalorus Festival kicks off in Wilmington
- WRAL TechWire- Something for everyone at Cucalorus: Best bets in tech, stage, and film
- WRAL TechWire- Cucalorus Connect Conference Nov. 14-15 explores intersection of creativity and technology
- Star News: The dances of Dance-a-lorus
- WilmingtonBiz Magazine- Cucalous Widens Its Lens
- WRAL Techwire – Cucalorus explores human – tech interaction on stage and screen
- The Robesonian – Lumbee Film Festival to be held May 16-17
- MovieMaker – 50 Film Festivals Worth the Entry Fee
- Greater Wilmington Business Journal: Info Junkie – Dan Brawley
- Greater Wilmington Business Journal: Cucalorus Signs 2 Additional Major Sponsors For 2019
- Outer Banks Voice – Surfalorus Festival in pursuit of new films for fall show
- Greater Wilmington Business Journal: Cucalorus Partners With Creative Capital To Bring Artists’ Workshop To Wilmington
- Star News: Cucalorus Fest gets dirty with bawdy Tainted Cabaret
- Encore: HASHTAG SEXUAL REFERENCE: Shirley Gnome dishes on burlesque, the creative process and her totally perv muse in ‘Tainted Cabaret’
- Star News: Cucalorus Festival gets a major NEA grant
- Star News: EDITORIAL: Cucalorus Festival illuminates shadows of history
- Greater Wilmington Business Journal: SAS Brand Director Aims To Connect Tech, Emotion Through Film
- Star News: Cucalorus Festival’s focus on performance comes into its own
- The Seahawk: Cucalorus 24 kicks off with Dance-a-lorus
- WECT First at Four: The 24th annual Cucalorus Festival takes place November 7-11, with guest Dan Brawley
- WWAY: Cucalorus Festival Ready to Kick Off
- Star News: 7 Movies to See at Cucalorus 24
- Indy Week: A Hurricane Can’t Stop Wilmington’s Cucalorus Festival, and Triangle Filmmakers and Musicians Are Heading East
- Star News: 24 things to know about the 24th Cucalorus Festival
- NCTech: November Executive Spotlight: Dan Brawley, Chief Instigating Officer
- Seahawk News: Cucalorus 24 preview // Highlighting UNCW students and staff talents
- Picture Lock Podcast: Interview with Dan Brawley & Lez Bomb’s Jenna Laurenzo
- WilmingtonBiz Insights: Cucalorus Connect Helps Highlight Area’s Economic & Cultural Identity
- Wilmington & Beaches: Cucalorus Takes Center Stage with Five days of Film, Technology, and Theatre
- WRAL Tech on Tap Conversations: Cucalorus marries the history of film in Wilmington and emerging tech scene
- Encore: Paving the Way: Cucalorus continues to evolve, welcomes live music and Superchunk to the stage
- Star News: Cucalorus Festival announces opening night band, film screenings
- MovieMaker Magazine: 50 Film Festivals Worth the Entry Fee, 2018
- Greater Wilmington Business Journal: Reframing Film Industry
- Greater Wilmington Business Journal: Achievers & Accolades—Kim Klein
- Clture: Cucalorus is worth the road trip to Wilmington
- WECT: Dan Brawley is taking Cucalorus in another new direction
- Star News: Innovation economy takes stage, editorial by Tom Looney
- Star News: 8 Things to See & Do at UNCW’s Lumina Fest
- Convention and Visitor’s Bureau guest blog by Dan Brawley
- Greater Wilmington Business Journal: Tru Colors Brewing
- WHQR Communique: Inshiradu Receives Support From Cucalorus For 1898 Narrative: “What The River Knows”
- Star News: Tru Colors Brewing Up Solution to Gang Violence
- Matt Magne’s overview of Connect 2017
- MovieMaker Magazine: 50 Film Festivals Worth the Entry Fee, 2017
- Filmmaker Magazine: Dispatches from Cucalorus 2016
- Cultured Vulture: 10 Best Film Festivals Worth Your Time In 2017
- Star News: Cucalorus leader Dan Brawley to head Film Festival Alliance
- Blog: La Medea: un show interactivo de cine, música, danza y teatro brillará este sábado en Jengo’s Playhouse
- Wrightsville Beach Magazine: Independent Ascendant?
- MovieMaker: A Little Bit of Catharsis: Cucalorus 22 is the change we want to see in the world
- ExitEvent: Don’t Miss These Southeast Startup, Innovation and Tech Conferences in 2017
- StarNews: Cucalorus Film Festival receives grant
- Star News: Cucalorus Film Festival attendance figures released
- Exit Event: 5 Takeaways from Cucalorus Connect 2016 in Wilmington
- City of Wilmington: Joe Dunton Q&A Livestream
- Star News: Cucalorus Film Festival wraps 22nd year with packed screenings, festive atmosphere
Check out the 27th Anniversary Cucalorus Festival Program Guide here!
The Cucalorus Film Festival takes place every November showcasing more than 150 independent films with a focus on supporting films directed by women and by people of color. Screenings are paired with bold performance art, authentic live music and social gatherings to bring together humans from all walks of life. The spirited celebration has been recognized as a breeding ground for young artists, new ideas, and future collaborations. Cucalorus brings together emerging creatives with new ideas that challenge us to look at the world in new ways. Festival programs focus on dance, justice, comedy, performance, cocktails and more.
Film Festival Images:
National Endowment for the Arts and the Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts award grants to Wilmington’s Cucalorus Film Foundation August 10, 2022 – The Wilmington-based non-profit Cucalorus Film Foundation has been awarded grants from two national arts...
Surfalorus celebrates local legend and Hawaiian royalty in packed festival lineup July 25, 2022 – Celebrate eleven years of the Surfalorus Film Festival, presented by North Carolina Aquariums and Jennette’s Pier, taking place during the Eastern Surf...
Cucalorus Seeks Applications for 2022 Filmed in NC Fund Wilmington, N.C., June 9, 2022 – Applications are currently open for the 2022 Filmed in NC Fund. This initiative of the Cucalorus Film Foundation is made possible through a partnership with the NC Film...